Wednesday, September 15, 2010

To Mediate Or Not To Mediate? (or, asked in another way,) Do You Listen?

Every summer I seem to have an influx of mediation cases. This summer was no different. In divorce mediation, the couple meets with a trained mediator to try and come to agreements on issues with their children, their stuff (assets and liabilities) and support.

As the mediator, I am a neutral and cannot give legal advice. I am there to facilitate constructive communication and help the couple really listen to each other.

One couple recently came in and, as I explained this to them, they said "Well, we can talk to each other just fine, why do we need you?" It's a question I get often. The key is most couples say they can "talk", BUT they don't say they can "listen." As a divorce mediator, I help them listen to what their partner is saying and stay focused on discussing the issues...NOT what brought them to the decision to divorce.


No comments:

Post a Comment